The Operator Technician V is responsible for operating, maintaining, and monitoring the status of all power plant systems from the field on a continuous basis. The Operator Technician V responds to alarms by taking appropriate corrective actions and executes plant shutdown and start-up procedures in addition to maintenance procedures as required. The Operator Technician V assures that the plant meets its generating requirements while operating in a safe and efficient manner reporting directly to his/her immediate Operations Manager Shift Supervisor .Job Requirements: Responsibilities:
- Work with team members to meet the facilities established safety, environmental, operating, and maintenance goals and objectives. Respond to abnormal operating situations in a safe and environmentally conscious manner.
- Perform operational activities required to support start-up, shutdown, and normal operation of plant equipment and systems.
- Report equipment conditions or other facility anomalies that could affect the plant status to the Operations, Maintenance, and/or Plant Manager.
- Make entries in the operating logs, environmental records, and other administrative documentation needed to support the operation and maintenance of the facility.
- Complete required electrical switching and tagging of plant equipment and systems in accordance with approved facilities lockout procedures, industry guidelines and prudent operations and maintenance practices.
- Participate in plant housekeeping program and completes clean-up activities required to maintain the desired level of plant cleanliness.
- Perform assigned preventative maintenance, corrective maintenance, emergency maintenance, and inspection of plant mechanical and electrical equipment as needed.
- Complete routine cycle chemistry testing and make the necessary adjustments needed to operate within the established facility operating parameters.
- Read and respond to computer-generated data, instrumentation, gauges, readouts and variations in color.
- Comply with all required site safety requirements to identify and make corrective actions necessary to eliminate potential safety hazards in the facility.
- Utilize the facilities computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) to document and track the maintenance request / work orders and actions completed on plant equipment and systems.
- Complete periodic reviews of the facilities environmental permits to ensure familiarity with the established operating limits and reporting requirements for each of the operating permits.
- Must be able to perform additional duties as assigned by plant management
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Trade school, military service, technical training school preferred.
- Must hold a valid Commonwealth of Massachusetts 2nd Class Stationary Engineer's License or have the ability to obtain a Commonwealth of Massachusetts 2nd Class Stationary Engineer's License within six months of being hired.
- 5 years as a senior power plant operator or equivalent
- Applicant will be required to successfully complete the following to be considered for the position: Plant Operations Selection System/Plant Maintenance Positions Selection System (Poss/Mass)
- Gas turbine power plant experience preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
- Must have basic computer skills and be familiar in the use of Microsoft Excel.
- A thorough demonstrated understanding and working knowledge of operations & maintenance functions in a gas turbine power plant.
- A working knowledge of water chemistry as it relates to water treatment programs, steam plant operations as well as environmental and statutory regulations.
- Knowledge of power plant safety, policies and procedures, especially in area such as chemical handling, high-energy systems, lockout tag-out, confined spaces, incipient fire suppression, first aid, rotating machinery, and heavy equipment.
Position requires working on feet extended working hours and varied shifts with weekend and holiday work, as required by schedules.
Must be able to frequently climb ladders; enter confined spaces; crawl to and through confined space areas; climb to and work from elevated platforms, and walkways at elevations of 75 feet or more.
This job requires the ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions, climb vertical access ladders and stairwells.
Must be able to read and understand operating procedures, control logic diagrams, P&ID's and other technical material pertinent to power plant operation and maintenance.
Personal protective equipment must be worn in the performance of some duties (e.g. hard hats, safety glasses, gloves, hearing protection, chemical suits, and high voltage protective equipment, etc.)
Must be able to wear a respirator and use other safety equipment as required by plant management.